Skip to main content

WUSTL Life-Lines

Washington University in St. Louis has been inviting daily poetry submissions.  I submitted the following, which was published here.

The Human Eye

Don’t call me Ishmael;
I’m tired of that talk.
I live beyond the Whale
And reside now with the flock.

Oh, in harmony beneath the sky!
No longer seeking the celestial or the True;
Against waves of Fate, only an If am I.
Just a possibility beneath cerulean blue…

- James B. Moog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HIGH AND DRY IN SANTA FE

It is snowing. Looking out the window- I sit in my room waiting (no car, unmotivated [city on COVID lockdown], oh well).  The snow looks like Dippin Dots. It rests on our balcony. My wife went out, came back in; now cotton candy-like fluff all over.  Only water. I wish I had my car but I really don't have anywhere I want to go. My eyes drift to the yellowing leaves, intermixed with fading greens. The ivy, by contrast, is going red. I want my car. I have nowhere to go. Without it,  I feel stranded in the middle of a desert.

Proud Egg Cartoon #2

1. "This here...is Egg City" 2. "Who am I? Okay, sure, I'm an egg" 3. "But not just any egg" 4. "I'm a BAD EGG. Rotten to the CORE" 5. "I got a feverish desire for FAME" 6. "But lately...I been crackin' up" 7. "My head is all scrambled"  8. "So I'm gettin' outta' here... Leavin' Egg City for good!"

Gazing at the Creek

  GAZING AT THE CREEK from above the trees spiral— the surface,  daguerreotypic reflection. Stratospheric strands   falling on the water; a breeze blows   past the sphinxlike supports of a low-water bridge.