Skip to main content

WUSTL Life-Lines (4/13/20)

Prompt

Write a short poem (rhyming not necessary) that includes each of the following 5 words (anywhere and in any order). Poems should not exceed 7 or 8 lines.
     Star
     Stairway
     Memory
     Hour
     Light
***
a pathway of pebbles at night,
memory’s labyrinth of light
reaches a dark star
through an hour ajar
and a heretical power
ascends subterranean
staircases to the heart.
— James B. Moog

Many thanks to Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo who did me the great honor of surprising me with a Spanish translation which I prefer greatly to the original English:

Senda de guijarros nocturnos:
la luz laberíntica de la memoria 
rebasa a la estrella oscura 
de esta hora entreabierta. 
Entonces una fuerza herética
asciende las escaleras sumergidas 
que dan directo a nuestro corazón.

-James B. Moog

Finally, I couldn't help submitting another poem anonymously:

Ambiguous light falls upon
an unsuspecting hour.
Memory, that silver star, refuses
her curtain calls. I am
enchanted by a spiral stairway—
shadow play
before and beneath it—
and a single candle.

Poems submitted for April 13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HIGH AND DRY IN SANTA FE

It is snowing. Looking out the window- I sit in my room waiting (no car, unmotivated [city on COVID lockdown], oh well).  The snow looks like Dippin Dots. It rests on our balcony. My wife went out, came back in; now cotton candy-like fluff all over.  Only water. I wish I had my car but I really don't have anywhere I want to go. My eyes drift to the yellowing leaves, intermixed with fading greens. The ivy, by contrast, is going red. I want my car. I have nowhere to go. Without it,  I feel stranded in the middle of a desert.

Proud Egg Cartoon #2

1. "This here...is Egg City" 2. "Who am I? Okay, sure, I'm an egg" 3. "But not just any egg" 4. "I'm a BAD EGG. Rotten to the CORE" 5. "I got a feverish desire for FAME" 6. "But lately...I been crackin' up" 7. "My head is all scrambled"  8. "So I'm gettin' outta' here... Leavin' Egg City for good!"

Gazing at the Creek

  GAZING AT THE CREEK from above the trees spiral— the surface,  daguerreotypic reflection. Stratospheric strands   falling on the water; a breeze blows   past the sphinxlike supports of a low-water bridge.