Skip to main content

Why I Write


Once I pressed onwards in darkness without even myself for company and I wrote to drive pitons into a sheer cliff.  I tried to thread myself through them because I was afraid to fall.  I wrote to crack a whip over myself because I didn’t know why I was climbing.  I wrote myself a yarn that I stretched like Theseus as I struggled through an inner labyrinth.  I wrote whenever I could see.  I wrote to erode the Sisyphean pit.

Now I write to rappel into the depths because that is where I found myself waiting.  I write to shed light on my subterranean discoveries.  Then I write to dispel the vertiginous ascent as I carry them upwards.  I write to press onwardsto create myself.  I write to press inwards and center myself. I write to spin my impressions on the wheel, to feel them running through my fingers as my hand guides them with a will of its own.  I write to steal from nature, like Prometheus, and give fire to my creations.  I write to set my words in a kiln and see if they crack. 

I write because I don’t trust my reason.  I write because I am lost without it.  I write because I know how easy it is to lose oneself, so I write to dance with myself until I am exhausted.  I write as an act of resistance against the succession of moments. I write to assert my will, then I write to give into it, and, finally, to overcome it. 

I write as in a log, while I hunt for inspiration.  I tell myself to wait, to hold for the right moment, letting my thoughts run ahead when they catch a scent.  I hold for the flush, my fingers wrapped around the pen lightly like a trigger, and I follow my impressions until just before they crest.  That’s when I pounce. 

I write because I cannot believe in ideals.  I am looking for some aspect of truth.  I write to hear from the silent god within.  I try to trace the outlines on the page and feel him looking at me.  Sometimes I feel he approves and other times I can sense his contempt.  I always listen.

Every evening, I read in bed and so often I am seized by the words of another.  I reach into them and feel myself expanded.  As the night goes on, I forget that a pen lies unsheathed besides me. When I give into sleep, my body presses against it, writing my tossing and turning into the sheets.  In the morning, I am confronted by my chaotic markings but I continue to wrap myself in my nocturnal writings because I know it will happen again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Man of Sorrows: Ishmael and Melville’s Misericord

The Man of Sorrows: Ishmael and Melville’s Misericord He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. -Friedrich Nietzsche,  Beyond Good and Evil The autonomous individual does not treat his own conclusions and decisions as authoritative but chooses with his eyes open, and then keeps his eyes open.    He has the courage to admit that he may have been wrong even about matters of the greatest importance. -Walter Kaufmann,  Without Guilt and Justice              This paper will examine Melville’s democratic tragedy as a call for fellow feeling in the face of man’s insuperable longing for wholeness and universal suffering (Milder 23). Specifically, I will examine  Moby-Dick  in relation to the concept of misericord: a unique form of sympathy, associated with heartfelt commiseration, as well as mercy, compassion, pity, and charity.    “In the teachings of the Christian churches, charity